Sep 29, 2008

Mummy topic of today :


Confinement


What is Confinement?? Basically its a tradition for woman, be it you are malay, chinese or indian, to rest for a period between 30 to 40 days after childbirth to recuperate. As it is believed that confinement rituals can prevent the mother from suffering health problems in the later years. During this period of time, there are certain rules that mothers need to comply.


-No bathing, only wipe down and must be with herbs.


-Can't watch TV or read too much, must rest the eyes.


-Cannot carry heavy objects (including baby).


-Cannot eat too 'cooling' food.


-Cannot blow fan and aircon.


-Cannot touch water.


You either hate it or love it. Love it because you don't have to do a single thing during confinement. Hate it because you can't do anything. And of course you can't go out for that confinement period la...


The last time my confinement I think I only managed to bear 3 weeks of not bathing. Better than nothing liao lor.... Its like so disgusting, thinking me breastfeeding my son and I can only wipe myself everyday. But I love the food la!!!!! Although I don't get to eat a lot, cause stubborn mum me always have to do everything myself so no time eat. Comes to think of it maybe thats why I slimmed down so fast!! hahaha... But don't learn from me hor, not healthy.....


I was like eating cod fish everyday la!! Great life lor.. And its cod fish without the bones and all that, just the meat!! I'm drooling as I say now la... Other than that only some vegetables can eat den eat de stuff all usually have either ginger or sesame oil.


So, confinement although its hard to bear, especially in sunny singapore, its quite beneficial for us too!! But don't have to force yourself go through it if you don't want to. As the period after child birth its very easy for mothers to slip into depression. So don't stress yourself too much ya!!!


What's most important is you are comfortable and your baby is too. Plenty of rest whenever you can and eat your meals and drink plenty of fluid.

Anyway this time confinement never do properly then have the next kid do properly lor... hahha....anyway government also encouraging more birth ma... hahaha...
....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!! Subject to my approval!